The GM 10-speed transmission is automatic, so there is no need to shift gears manually while driving.
It is a rear-wheel-drive transmission that first came into line in 2018.
Although it is a performance-oriented transmission system, it has some drawbacks too.
I have briefly discussed problems or drawbacks and solutions associated with 10-speed transmission.
GM 10-speed transmissions have 06 common problems, including gear shifting problems, slow throttle response, fluid leakage, strange noises, and overheating.
In this article, I have discussed symptoms and solutions to these 06 issues.
1. GM 10 Speed Transmission Problems: Shift Selector Issue
The most common problem with GM 10-speed transmissions is the shift selector.
It occurs when your vehicle suddenly slips into lower or higher gear without any action or change in speed.
The gear drops as the vehicle accelerate, indicating an issue with the shift selector.
Acceleration is usually increased by shifting up a gear.
Selector problems have the following symptoms:
- The vehicle doesn’t start in the standard gear
- The indicator and gear don’t match
- Vehicle turn-off problem
- The car will not shift into gear
Here are some tips to fix your shift selector:
- Check the transmission fluid level; refill if it is low.
- Check and change the fluid if it’s dirty.
- In case of major issues, consult a mechanic.
2. Slow Throttle Response
Another unpleasant driving experience is caused by GM’s 10-speed transmission experiencing slow throttle response.
Driving a truck with a slow throttle response will ruin your driving experience.
When you try to throttle, you may feel no or slow response.
Possible solutions are as follows:
- Reset the software setting.
- If there is a mismatch between the gear ratios, fix it.
If these steps do not resolve the problem, take the vehicle to a shop for a more accurate diagnosis.
3. Fluid Leakage Problem
GM 10-speed transmissions have advanced leakage-proof systems but sometimes have issues with leakage.
Leakage issues indicate a serious problem.
It is, therefore, important to act as soon as leakage symptoms are detected.
- Your dashboard displays error code P0842
- The sensor shows low fluid levels
- There is a visible leak in the transmission
Here are 03 simple solutions:
- Detect leaks and close them instantly.
- If the gaskets and seals are worn out, replace them.
- If there are any significant leakage issues, take action.
If you experience shaking or shuddering while driving, your transmission may malfunctioning.
GM’s 10-speed automatic transmission provides a smooth driving experience.
As a result, if you experience unusual vibrations while driving, check for these symptoms:
Automatic transmissions do not shudder under load or acceleration.
So, vibration itself can be caused by transmission problems.
You should take your vehicle to the dealership for a thorough checkup if your warranty is still valid.
If this is not the case, have the vehicle checked by a good mechanic shop, and the problem should be fixed.
5. Weird Noise
If the GM 10-speed transmission system makes unusual sounds like grinding or clunking, it indicates there is a problem with the transmission.
This noise is very unpleasant and may indicate a serious problem.
Inspect the transmission system properly, and replace the defective part to avoid further problems.
An overheated transmission can be caused by internal damage, low fluid level, dirty fluid, or leakage.
In addition, excess transmission fluid causes the transmission system to overheat due to excess pressure.
- Check and change the gearbox oil if it is too thick or excessively black.
- Ensure the gearbox is completely cool before checking the oil.
- Make sure the clutch is working; if not, fix it.
Who Makes the 10-Speed Transmission for GM?
The Hydra-Matic 10LXX transmission is the latest transmission from GM.
A joint effort between General Motors and Ford Motor Company led to the development of this transmission.
At GM Powertrain’s Romulus, Michigan plant, Hydra-Matic 10L80, a variant of Hydra-Matic 10LXX, is produced.
Which GM Vehicles Use 10 Speed Allison Transmission?
GM vehicles with 10-speed Allison Transmissions are listed below:
- Chevrolet Tahoe 2018
- Chevrolet Suburban 2018
- Chevrolet Camaro SS 2019
- Chevrolet Silverado 2019, except the V6 model, which has a 6-speed Allison transmission.
- GMC Sierra 2019, except the V6 model, because the V6 uses a 6-speed Allison transmission.
- GMC Yukon Denali 2018
- Cadillac Escalade 2018
- Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 2017
- Cadillac CT4 2020
- Cadillac CT5 2020
- Cadillac CT6 2019
Is the GM 10-Speed Transmission an Allison?
The Allison 10-speed automatic transmission was introduced in 2020.
It is known as the 10L1000 transmission or Allison1000 transmission.
Is the 10 Speed Automatic Transmission Good?
Yes, the 10-speed automatic transmission offers several benefits, making it unique.
GM’s new 10-speed transmission delivers excellent performance, outstanding efficiency, and optimized fuel economy efficiency.
Which is Better 8 or 10-Speed Transmission?
In terms of performance, the 10-speed transmission is better than the 8-speed transmission, but in terms of fuel economy, the 8-speed is better.
The upgraded 10-speed transmission is designed to replace the 8-speed transmission.
The 10-speed transmission reduces spin loss, enhances acceleration, and has three overdrive gears.
However, 10-speeds are less fuel efficient than 8-speeds.
So, 10-speed is better for better performance, but 8-speed is better for fuel efficiency.
Why is a 10-Speed Transmission Better?
The reason behind it is that 10-speed offers some extra benefits.
Performance and acceleration are improved, making it a higher-rank transmission system.
How to Maintain a Transmission?
With proper maintenance and care most of the 10-speed transmission problems are avoidable or fixable.
Follow the maintenance tips to avoid 10-speed transmission problems:
- Regular Maintenance: Regularly maintain your vehicle. Regular maintenance keeps you free from other issues. Filter change, fluid change, and inspecting the transmission system on a regular basis are included in regular maintenance.
- Replace the Worn Parts: Some symptoms of bad transmission such as late engagement or rough shifting indicate transmission problems. Diagnose the faulty parts and replace them.
- Check Fluid Levels: It is the duty of a truck owner to check the fluid levels on regular basis. A correct fluid level is very important for Allison 10-speed transmission’s smooth operation. Low-level fluid causes quick wear and tear. So, always ensure the fluid levels are at the correct level.
- Install Transmission Cooler System: If you regularly tow heavy loads, you should install a transmission cooler system. The cooler system minimizes the risk of transmission overheating and keeps your transmission trouble-free.
- Take Professional Help: If you find any major issue in the transmission, take your vehicle to a repair shop quickly. Address the problem as soon as possible to avoid other issues.
Which GM Vehicles are Under investigation?
Some GM vehicles has defective 10-speed transmission and they are under investigation.
The vehicles with defective 10-speed transmission are given below:
- 2019 Chevy Camaro
- 2018-2022 Chevy Tahoe
- 2019-203 Chevy Suburban
- 2017-2022 Chevy Camaro ZL1
- 2019-2023 GMC Sierra
- 2019-2022 Cadillac CT4
- 2019-2020 Cadillac CT6
- 2019-2022 Chevrolet Silverado
- 2020-2022 Cadillac CT5
Has GM fixed the transmission problems?
GM still needs to fix the transmission problems completely but is planning to redesign the new model.
GM says in the upcoming models, they will solve these issues.
How much horsepower can the GM 10 speed transmission handle?
The 10-speed GM transmission can handle approximately 600 hp and around 1800 lb.-ft of torque.
What is the strongest GM transmission?
GM’s 10L90E transmission is its strongest.
The 10L90E strengthens and provides fantastic performance when used with the Gen V LT engine.
What year did GM use the 10-speed transmission?
GM has been using 10-speed transmissions since 2018.
Does the GM 10-speed skip gears?
Yes, GM’s 10-speed transmission can skip gears when the vehicle stalls and downshifts.
This is considered normal and desirable behavior for GM’s 10-speed transmission.
What is GM’s 10 speed transmission called?
GM Hydra-Matic 10-speed automatic transmissions are internally called 10LXX.
The transmission was developed for vehicles with rear-wheel-drive or rear-biased all-wheel-drive.
At what RPM should you shift gears 10 speed?
A 10-speed transmission should shift gears at 1,500 to 2,000 RPM.
What RPM should you shift a 10 speed?
1,500 RPM is considered to be okay for shifting in a 10-speed.
Is the Ford GM 10-speed transmission reliable?
The Ford GM 10-speed transmission is generally reliable.
Due to various problems encountered by users, it cannot be considered highly reliable.
What are the most common GMC 10 Speed Transmission Problems?
The most common GMC 10-speed transmission problems are:
- Power loss
- Harsh shifting
- Delay in shifting etc
What is 10 Speed Allison Transmission Shift Selector Problems?
The 10-speed Allison transmission shift selector problems are:
- Slow shifting
- Vibration while shifting
- Unusual noise
- Stuck in gear
- Slipping gears
These are common problems with GM 10-speed transmissions.
These problems are easily recognizable and can be solved quickly.