OnStar helps the vehicle owner with emergencies, directions, injuries, and more.
But due to privacy issues, many owners want to disable OnStar GPS tracking.
If you are one of them, you are in the right place.
In this article, I provide you with two simple ways to disable OnStar GPS tracking in order to protect your privacy.
What GPS Does OnStar Use?
OnStar provides voice-guided driving directions using the Global Positioning System (GPS).
Through a CDMA connection, OnStar sends GPS data to its central system and provides turn-by-turn directions.
How to Disable OnStar GPS Tracking?
OnStar GPS tracking can be disabled by either calling the OnStar service center or physically disabling the system by disabling it physically.
Having said that, let us discuss them in more detail.
01. Call OnStar Customer Service to
You can contact their customer service department if you wish to stop OnStar GPS tracking.
The service center can be contacted in 02 ways:
- Press the OnStar blue button to talk with the call agent
- Dial 1-888-4-OnStar (1-888-466-7827) to contact the service provider.
As part of the process, the OnStar agent may ask for your contact information and billing information.
You will need to be active during the process and may need to chat with them to get more information.
They will be able to disable GPS tracking once the service is complete.
For many users, it’s not a satisfactory way to disable OnStar GPS tracking.
Despite stopping GPS tracking through OnStar, the company will continue to collect vehicle movement data for marketing purposes.
This is why you shouldn’t trust the company.
In this situation, removing the GPSthe option.
02. Disable OnStar GPS Tracking Physically
To completely disable OnStar GPS tracking, follow these 10 steps:
- Turn off the vehicle
- Open the trunk
- Take out the trunk liner
- Remove the spare tire
- Take out the trunk still plate; it may need to be unscrewed
- Access the OnStar device by removing the trunk shell
- Locate the OnStar box; it may have an OnStar or LG logo
- Unplug the OnStar device and disconnect all three wires
- Reassemble or reinstall all truck components
- Check the system.
The proper way to disable OnStar’s GPS tracking system is by following this process.
Watch the video to see the process in action.
How to Use OnStar Navigation?
OnStar navigation is a more advanced navigation system than standard navigation.
As a result, it helps guide the driver turn-by-turn.
In order to use the navigation system, you must press the blue OnStar button.
It is typically located on the dashboard, on the overhead console, or in the rearview mirror.
A tone gives you detailed directions about the car after you press the button.
You will be able to reach your destination using turn tones with automated voice guidance.
Additionally, navigation provides you with the street name and the distance between you and your destination.
You will also get an alert if you miss a turn or drive the wrong way.
How to Reset OnStar Module?
Here are the following steps to reset your OnStar module
- Connect the vehicle to OnStar
- Disconnect the vehicle battery
- Connect your phone to OnStar via Bluetooth and dial *326
- Wait for the prompt to say, “reset my pin.”
- Provide a new pin
- Don’t hang up the call before confirmation
- Reconnect the battery to your vehicle and wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Turn your vehicle on
- OnStar will be reset
How to Reset the OnStar Pin in My Car?
Follow these steps to reset your OnStar pin:
- Turn off the vehicle
- Press the power button until “Starting System” appears on your dashboard screen.
- Simultaneously press and hold the door lock button on your car for two seconds.
- Now release the buttons
- Go for OnStar’s home page
- Now enter your account information on this page
- Click the “My Service” icon
- Select the “Reset My PIN” icon
- Give a new pin and confirm it
- Now, click the “Reset” button.
Is OnStar a GPS system?
No, OnStar is GM’s two-way communications system that provides route directions, safety, entertainment, and security.
Using GPS, it finds the fastest route to a given destination.
Can someone track my car with OnStar?
You can track your car with OnStar.
OnStar can track your car using GPS if you report it stolen or something else.
You can also slow down your vehicle remotely so thieves can’t get too far.
Does OnStar always track your location?
Yes, OnStar constantly tracks your location if you are an active subscriber.
The OnStar service center will disable the tracking system if you ask them to.
However, OnStar still collects your movement data for business purposes in some cases.
How accurate is OnStar diagnostics?
OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics can analyze a car’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes, and many other systems.
OnStar diagnostics are very accurate when it comes to GMC, Chevy, Cadillac, and Buick.
How to turn off OnStar tracking?
In order to turn off the OnStar tracking on your vehicle, you can contact the OnStar service center or do it physically.
By contacting OnStar customer service, you can easily stop OnStar tracking.
But due to the possibility of OnStar continuing to track your movement data, physically disabling OnStar GPS tracking is the preferred method.
Depending on your preference, you can choose any of these options.