As a safety and security system for GM vehicles, OnStar is one of the most famous systems on the market.
You can enjoy navigation, entertainment, safety, and security with OnStar.
However, like any other electronic device, the OnStar system sometimes malfunctions and needs to be reset or repaired.
Many errors can be resolved when you reset the OnStar module, including the malfunctioning OnStar button, problems with navigation, hardware malfunctions, and wrong map routes.
You’ll get OnStar’s default settings when you reset it.
Let’s discuss the reset procedure in detail.
How to Reset OnStar Module [03 Methods]
There are three simple methods you can use to reset the OnStar module. The first method is to press the OnStar button. The second method is to use the OnStar app.
Let us discuss these three methods in detail.
01. Through the OnStar Button
Here are the 04 steps to reset OnStar by pressing the button:
- Locate the OnStar module in your car first
- Now, press and hold the OnStar button for 05 seconds
- Wait until a reboot message flashes
- After a few seconds, you will see the module has rebooted, and you can use refresh OnStar again.
02. Through the OnStar App
Resetting the OnStar module with the OnStar app is another option.
The OnStar app allows customers to understand and solve problems more quickly and easily.
You can reset OnStar through the OnStar app if you encounter a problem.
Follow the 06 steps to reset OnStar using the OnStar App:
- You can open the OnStar app from your smartphone or by visiting the OnStar website
- Now you have to provide accurate information and log into your OnStar account
- You will find a “Vehicle Services” option; click on it.
- Now select the “OnStar Module” option
- Click the reset option and confirm that you are ready to reset your OnStar module
- Wait for a few seconds, and your vehicle’s OnStar module will reset successfully.
03. Through the Service Center
The service center option is effective but time-consuming.
In this case, you need to talk to an OnStar advisor.
The advisor provides you with the necessary information, which you must follow carefully.
A GM advisor can help reset OnStar via these 09 steps:
- The vehicle should be connected to OnStar
- Make sure the vehicle’s battery is disconnected
- Using Bluetooth, connect your smartphone to OnStar and dial *326
- Reset your pin when the prompt appears
- Now, change the PIN and provide a new one
- Hold to the call until confirmation has been received
- Now, reconnect your battery to the vehicle and wait for 10 to 12 seconds
- Start your vehicle
- The OnStar module will reset successfully.
Note that resetting OnStar system usually resolves minor glitches and improves performance.
But if you experience such problems continuously, you should go to the OnStar service center for professional assistance.
An expert technician will help you to fix the issue properly
How to Reset OnStar Module Chevy Colorado?
You can reset the OnStar module on your Chevy Colorado by applying any of these 03 methods mentioned above.
You can reset the OnStar module in any GM vehicle by applying the same methods mentioned in this article.
How do I Activate OnStar Subscription?
There are 02 ways of activating an OnStar subscription.
One is to contact the customer service center, and the other is to log in to the OnStar.com website.
01. By Physically Visiting the Customer Service Center
If you contact the customer service center, a service provider will help you activate OnStar.
The advisor will give you all the information you need to troubleshoot the problem and how to prevent it from recurring in the future.
If you had a premium OnStar subscription that expired, they would activate the subscription plan, and the OnStar system would work correctly.
02. By Virtually Visiting their Website
If you search the website, log in to your account and go to the OnStar service module.
You can see your service plan status there, and if you want, you can renew your subscription package.
Why is OnStar not connecting?
If OnStar does not connect with your vehicle, it may be a connection issue or technical issue.
The most common reasons for OnStar not connecting are:
- Cellular Signal Issue: OnStar depends on the cellular network, if the signal is weak, you will face the connecting issue. So, make sure you have a strong network when connecting to OnStar.
- Vehicle Antenna Problems: It’s a kind of technical issue. If your vehicle’s antenna is faulty or damaged, it disrupts the signal. So, if you are having trouble connecting to OnStar, check the antenna.
- Data Plan Issues: An inactive data plan is another reason for OnStar connecting issue. Contact OnStar customer care for data plan inquiries.
- Bluetooth Interference: Sometimes Bluetooth causes this problem. Turn off Bluetooth for a few minutes and then try to connect to OnStar.
Where is OnStar module located?
It varies depending on the vehicle’s make, model, and year.
However, most of the vehicle OnStar is located on the rearview mirror.
Newer vehicles include an OnStar module integrated into the rearview mirror housing.
On the other hand, in some SUVs OnStar is located at the overhead console, near the dome lights.
How do I activate OnStar without a car?
Subscription is the only way to activate or operate OnStar without a car.
If you have a subscription, you can simply download and use the OnStar app on your phone.
With an activated OnStar app you can perform the following tasks:
- Remotely start the vehicle
- Find out the vehicle location
- Easily upload navigation maps
- Flash the lights and hank the horn
- Making dealership service appointments, etc.
How Long Does It Take to Reset an OnStar Module?
According to OnStar, resetting the OnStar module takes a few minutes.
But from my experience, it will take around 10-15 minutes to complete the reset process.
If you visit a dealership to reset the OnStar module, they will charge you around $40 to $50.
Why is the Red Light On on My OnStar?
The red light indicates something is wrong with the OnStar TTY interface and that the OnStar module is not working properly.
Using your finger, push the OnStar blue button for a few seconds to contact the OnStar service provider.
You can troubleshoot the problem with the help of a customer service provider.
When the OnStar light is green, it indicates the system is working correctly.
Can I Reset the OnStar System with the Guardian APP?
GM does not currently offer OnStar resets via the Guardian App.
Instead of the app, you can use other methods, like visiting the OnStar.com website or calling the OnStar service center to reset your OnStar system.
How much is a OnStar Module?
OnStar provides monthly and yearly subscription plans.
For a monthly subscription plan, you have to spend around $29.99/month; for a yearly subscription plan, you have to pay $299.99/year.
These subscription packages include emergency services, crash response, roadside assistance, tracking activities, turn-by-turn navigation, and crisis alerts.
If you want remote access, security, and safety features, you have to spend a few more: $39.99/month & $399.99/year.
Several errors can be resolved by resetting OnStar.
You can easily reset your vehicle’s OnStar module by contacting the service center, app, or website.
Choose any of these options based on your preference.
It’s better to reset OnStar by pressing the buttons or apps because visiting a service center costs money and takes time.