Sometimes, you may forget your car keys inside the car, which may make it difficult for you to get back inside the car.
Having forgotten your car keys inside the car and then being locked out of your car is a very uncomfortable situation to be in.
No need to panic; I have got your back.
In this article, I have discussed 09 ways that you can use to get your car keys back if you have locked yourself out and forgotten your keys inside the car.
How to Get My Keys Out of My Locked Car [09 Ways]
There are 09 easy ways to open the car door so you can get your keys out of a locked car.
You can use an airbag, slim jim, shoelace, coat hanger, key fob, or mobile apps to open your car door.
Let us discuss these 09 ways elaborately.
01. By Using an Airbag and Reach-Tool
Airbags are an amazing tool to get your car keys back if you forget them inside the car.
Airbags can unlock car doors in 03 steps:
- First, you need to set this bag between the car doors and then push air into the bag.
- As a result of the air pumping, the bag will be full of air and create a gap in the jamb.
- With this slight gap in the door made by the airbag, you can flip the lock paddle using a long-reach tool and unlock your car.
Watch this video to learn how to open a car door with an air wedge.
02. With a Slim Jim
A slim Jim is a metal strip that has a notched end.
If slim jim is used incorrectly to unlock the car, it can damage the car door.
You must ensure that your car does not have electric locks because a slim jim wouldn’t work on electric locks.
Instead, it will damage the whole lock system.
Slim jims can unlock car doors in 04 steps:
- Use a wedge to make space for slim jim.
- Slide your notched end of the slim jim into that space and push down towards the car lock.
- To unlock the door, push the slim jim vertically onto the locking mechanism and pull slowly.
- Pull the sim Jim gradually to unlock your car door and get your keys back from inside.
This video will show you how to open your car door with a slim jim.
03. With a Shoelace or Strings
You are hearing it right.
You can easily retrieve your keys from inside the car with your shoelaces or strings.
Using strings or shoelaces, you can unlock car doors in 03 steps.
- Put a loose knot in the middle of the lace and place it between the car’s frame and the door.
- To release the knot, pull it down to catch the lock hole.
- Pull up the lace and tighten the knots at both ends.
Pulling up the lock will unlock the car door and allow you to retrieve your keys.
This video shows you how to unlock your car door with a string or shoelaces.
04. With a Coat Hanger
A coat hanger is an old-fashioned way of unlocking your car door to retrieve the keys inside.
It is only compatible with manual door locks.
Unlock your car with a coat hanger in 03 steps:
- Slide the hanger between the window and the weather stripping.
- Try to reach the control arm, and search until you find it.
- Pull the control arm up with the hanger end to unlock the door.
Watch this video to learn how to use a coat hanger to unlock your car.
05. With a Tennis Ball
A tennis ball can also help you unlock your car door.
Follow these 03 steps to unlock your car with a tennis ball:
- First, cut a hole in the tennis ball.
- Place the hole of the ball facing the lock.
- Hold the ball over the lock and press the ball as hard as you can
Creating force with the pressure you apply will unlock the car door.
As a mechanic, I do not recommend opening the car door with a tennis ball since it’s not a very effective method.
Watch this video to see how to unlock your car door using a tennis ball.
06. By Using Mobile App
Your smartphone can save you from trouble if you forget your car keys inside the car and have locked yourself out.
You can use the mobile app as your second key fob.
You must pair your car key with the mobile app before using the app.
So, it will substitute your key when your keys are locked in the car.
It will be your car lock system’s savior without any hassle.
07. By Using the Key Fob
As the name suggests, a key fob is a remote-control device that controls a car’s key system.
A key fob functions by communicating with radio waves.
You can easily use the key fob to unlock the car door as a substitution for your car keys.
You can carry your key fob and press the unlock button to open the car door lock if you forget the car keys in the car.
08. By Calling the Car Service Provider
Depending on where you live, you can find a car service provider nearby.
S providers offer services and can be contacted through a phone call.
The car service provider will arrive with the necessary tools to unlock your car door and get your keys back, ensuring no damage to your car.
They also provide key replacement services in case your keys are lost or damaged beyond repair.
09. By Calling a Locksmith
If you are locked out of your car and none of the eight methods mentioned above work, then calling a locksmith is your only option.
Professional locksmiths have the expertise and tools needed to unlock car doors in a short time.
Try not to damage your car while using these methods.
First, try the shoelace or coat hanger method since they are readily available.
If they do not work, use slim jim or airbag methods.
If you are unable to use any of these methods, contact a locksmith for assistance.
The locksmith will unlock your car door for you, and you will get your keys back.